Monday, July 14, 2014

Travelogue - Beijing, Sights & Sounds

In April, I found myself on a plane, heading to Beijing. I was filled with anxiety because to put it simply, my Mandarin has deteriorated after years of not using it. Thankfully, the recesses of my brain still kept hold of all the words and phrases drilled into my throughout my years of education. 

We spent the first day exploring the Silicon Valley of Beijing and roaming around. There were no concrete plans due to our lack of sleep (oh, night flights). 

On one night, we decided to check out the Olympic stadiums before dinner, and there were a sight to behold! They were in their lighted glory with crowds trying to snap photos of them. 




Other sights include the Summer Palace - which was a lovely place to spend the morning roaming around flowers and transporting oneself back to the past. 





In the main city area, we explored Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City and just enjoyed walking through the Hutongs (old alley ways). 






Chanced upon a lovely cathedral whilst exploring random streets. 

While Bejing has its own unique charm, the crowds of people got to me. Train rides were claustrophobic and you had to worm your way into certain tourist attractions. (I must say that their transport system was fantastic though! It was so easy and cheap to get around.) I learnt that it was either push, or be pushed. 

Also, the food in Beijing is extremely oily! Be sure to always request for less oil and to stock up on tea and fruits to wash all that down. And drink loads of water, the smog can get to your throat. Other than that, take it easy and explore what this city has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment