Friday, October 18, 2013

Travelogue - Auschwitz

The past we inherit, the present we create. 

One of the cities I visited whilst on exchange was Krakow. My friends really wanted to go to Auschwitz to see how it was like. Prior to going on exchange, I had zero interest in history. But after actually seeing the places you read about in books, and see in movies, it strikes you just how poignant history is. These places not only serve as reminders, so that those horrible episodes will not be forgotten. But they also teach. They teach the present generation to be thankful for what we have. When you're staring at a room full of shoes that used to belong to someone else from the past, someone who had their life ripped away from them, it strikes you deep inside. 



I found myself reading more about history after that, learning about the second world war, the cold war and recounts of those who by sheer strength and courage, survived. 

And this, is my journey to Auschwitz. 




I visited Auschwitz in July, on a hot summer's day. The temperature for that day was in the high 30s. The first thing that struck me, was how quite the place was, despite the crowds. You could feel a sense of sadness overwhelm you. The next thing that sunk in, was the heat. It was bearable initially, but as the day went on, I develop respect for those who survived. There was no shade, and no tall buildings to hide the summer heat or the winter chill. Sleeping accommodations were little to none. And the buildings that used to housed people, were appalling and yet thought provoking. 






The second part of our tour, took us to the gas chambers which the Nazis tried to destroy. 

In the picture, you can see how little shelter there was from the elements of nature. 

After spending half a day at the concentration camp, I was spent. I was emotionally and physically exhausted. Trying to imagine what happened in this place, is beyond me. What I can do, it hope and pray that future generations will never have to experience the horrors that this place has seen. 


I left being a whole lot more appreciative and reflective of my life thus far. And also with a desire to learn more about the past. 

1 comment:

  1. Muy buenas tus ilustraciones, te acompaƱare en tu viaje. exitos

    ReplyDelete