Friday, April 18, 2014

Istanbul Crossroads

The crossroads of Europe and Asia. My stay in Turkey was a definite eye-opener. Istanbul is a melting pot. I have such lovely memories associated with this country. When I read of the latest news about Turkey banning Youtube and Twitter, it makes me sad because Turkey has the potential to charm the world - with its history, people and unassuming charm.


Ten things to know about Istanbul
  1. The city is full of slopes. Every turn was yet another hill or an upward trek. My feet were achingly sore after 3 to 4 days of exploring Istanbul.
  2. Cats are everywhere, and they are insanely adorable. I remember having a kitten come up and rub itself against my legs while I was waiting for my airport pick-up. Needless to say, I spent the whole journey to the airport picking cat fur off my jeans.
  3. The people there are extremely friendly. After walking through the grand bazaar, I had 3 different offers of tours in the evening. No offer was taken up.
    Also, we were given free tea at some kebab shop.
  4. Apple tea, is really sweet! Do not add in any sugar if you do not like sweet tea.
  5. The food - kebabs galore! Not to forget grilled aubergines and yellow rice. So much yums.
  6. Cultural exploration - especially in the many mosques that the city is home to.

  7. The Bosphorus. A trip to Istanbul is not complete without a boat ride down the Bosphorus. Make sure you eat a little before the trip though. I was too seasick to enjoy the ride - should have eaten.
     
  8. Stray off the beaten track. You might find an unassuming place of attraction.




  9. Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque is a must. 
    Stand in awe, right smack in the middle of these mosques and marvel at the sheer beauty and history these walls contain.


    1. Istanbul does not define Turkey. Take the time to travel to other cities. There is a different pace of life, and different sights and things to do. Despite the difference, everyone is friendly and ready to offer you a suggestion. 



    No comments:

    Post a Comment