Sunday, March 31, 2013

Travelogue: Stonehenge

A trip to Stonehenge was never on my list of "must-sees" when on exchange. But I found myself planning for a trip down to these mysterious stones in March 2012. Truthfully, I only made a trip there because the friend I was traveling with really wanted to visit this heritage site. I must say that I have no regrets going there though. After my trip there, I developed an interest in heritage sites.

Now some might say that it's just a pile of stones, and not worth the trip down from London. To add, you can't even touch the stones anymore. But I beg to differ.
The stones from afar. 



We booked a half-day tour package, the cheapest we could find online. For a price of around 30pounds, it was definitely worth it. The bus picked us up at a hotel near where we were staying (we were crashing at a friend's place) and brought us right to the entrance of this UNESCO World Heritage side. The bus ride to Wiltshire was lovely. Green pastures, and clear blue skies.


There is something mysterious and charged in the air, once you step off the bus. Stonehenge is really a sight to marvel. I can't imagine how mankind of the past manage to build this structure without any modern day tools. There are also many stories behind the existence of Stonehenge. I've checked out a few, and they are really intriguing.

I bought a book at the souvenir store which claims that the stones had a healing power, and that they used to be guarded over by a secret society. Also, if you want the show "Ancient Aliens", it claims that the stones were put there by Aliens. Other theories include the stones being used to tell time, and as a calendar.
Stones looking all mysterious in shades of black and white. 
Surrounding greenery. Stonehenge is literally built in the middle of nowhere.
You can to walk around the stones, with a guide to tell you the story behind the stones. While crowded, it definitely added to the excitement factor of trying to figure out exactly how did Stonehenge come to be. My photos are all similar and of the stones itself. I was really thankful for the lovely weather because I got to see everything in its natural beauty!

And that marks my trip to Stonehenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment