Sunday, April 7, 2013

Travelogue: Berlin, Germany

Germany has always been a country that I wanted to visit. I used to daydream about myself touring around the grand castles of Germany, soaking in the history of the country, and indulging in German Beer. One of the few regrets I had for exchange was that I didn't get to visit many German cities. However, Berlin was a definite must-do. 

My trip to Berlin was much anticipated. It was a 3 day trip with a full itinerary! Berlin is famous for so many things - the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate, Alexandraplatz, Checkpoint Charlie and of course, the shopping. If you want to relax, there's always the Rittersport Cafe - I went MAD over the different types of chocolate they had there. And it was SO cheap.





Walking tours are definitely recommended. I went for the Third Reich walking tour, and got to see so many historic sites and learn so much more about the city itself, and the Second World War. Such history allows you to step back, and appreciate all that we have today. 
Jewish Cemetery
Not to be missed, is the East Side Gallery. Spent a good 2 hours covering the length of this wall and appreciating the artwork. 



Because I had time to spare in Berlin, I headed to the Lego Discovery Centre to unleash the kid in me. I was really impressed by the structures all made in Lego. I ended up buying 5 Lego keychains back. 2 for myself, and 3 to give away to my cousins who have yet to lose the child in them as well. 



The food in Berlin is amazing too. Pork knuckles, bratswurst, curywurst, meatballs, beer and more. Even the Macdonalds in Germany has awesome burgers. Yes, I went to Macdonalds. I was really hungry and couldn't find food. 

Berlin is a must-see city in Germany. I have a friend who is on exchange in Berlin now and I am so envious of him. I will definitely be back to Germany one day to cover more cities and maybe revisit Berlin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment