Thursday, April 18, 2013

Travelogue - Amsterdam, Netherlands

“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.”

~John Green

Over my exchange period, I went to Amsterdam countless of times. And I still have yet to fully explore the city. I guess because Amsterdam was always just a train ride away, I sort of took it for-granted. 
View from the Central Library!



Amsterdam in winter, and Amsterdam in spring is so different.
One thing I wish I got the chance to do was to ice-skate on the canals itself. Amsterdam is the windy city of Europe. Being located below sea level, the winds there are freezing cold. Be sure to always have a scarf, especially in the freezing throes of winter. 


Spring! Look at the difference in scenery. 
The city is also known for its many museums. While I was there, the Rijksmuseum was still undergoing restoration. Instead, I visited the sex museum (it was an eye-opener!) and one of my favourite museums, The Anne Frank House. 

The Anne Frank House remains as one of my favourite museums in Europe, partly because I developed an interest about the holocaust and its history, and that I grew up reading Anne Frank's diary. Getting to see first hand what living conditions were at that time, and putting an image to the words I read when young was just electrifying. It made me understand the book so much better, and feel like I was in her shoes through Anne Frank's words and by walking through the house she lived in. 

Also, thank god we booked our tickets online. There is always a perpetual queue outside the Anne Frank House for admission. It's really worth the extra 1 euro to skip the queue. 


One of my special Amsterdam highlights is that I got to spend Queen's Day there. The Dutch take Queens Day very seriously. Its a national holiday and celebration. Everyone decks out in Orange, and parties the day away. The weather that day was also in a good mood, giving us clear blue skies which we had not seen in ages! 
Chilling around, lying on the grass.
Partying on a boat!
Despite the cold, a friend and I decided to ride this. I spent half the ride laughing and screaming how cold it was.
Amsterdam is also known for its food. 
Here's a list of food items from Amsterdam (and probably Holland in general):
1. Stroopwaffles (Albert Heijn, Albert Cuyp Market for fresh ones)
2. Herrings
3. Pancakes at Carousal 
4. Ribs buffet at Satellite Sports Cafe
5. Fries with Joppiesaus (Mannekin Pis)
6. Lays Joppiesaus chips! (From any supermarket)
7. Croquett
8. Coffee.
9. Pies
10. Cheese! 
Ribs buffet. I was so hungry that day that I ate 2 portions. >.<
Of course Amsterdam being a large city has other sights. 
Some recommendations include:
1. Heineken Experience
2. Albert Cuyp Market
3. Strolling along the Canals
4. I AMSTERDAM signage
5. Cycle around the city
6. Red Light District (of course!)
7. Museums 
8. Parks 
9. Central Library for a gorgeous view of the City 
10. Shopping ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment