Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Travelogue - Keukenhof, Netherlands

Keukenhof can be described in 3 simple words. Tulip Lovers Paradise.

Keukenhof is like the mother of all flower shows. Located at the South of Netherlands, in a town called Lisse, this park is so exclusive it only opens from mid March to mid May. In between that, time is spent dreaming of new themes, and preparing the park for the next year.




Apparently, over 7,000,000 flower bulbs are planted in the park annually, over an area of 32 hectares. Aside from flowers, there are other mini attractions there such as windmills, and other artistic creations.


I was really excited about my trip there because before I went to Netherlands (Holland), everyone told me that this event was not to be missed. Another reason being that tulips are one of my favourite flowers.

Now its advisable to purchase your tickets in advance else you have to face the long queue. Being based in Maastricht at that time, I took a train down to Schipol, got my tickets from the booth at the airport, and hopped onto a direct bus that brought me right to the entrance.

Unfortunately, it was drizzling on that day. And with spring being late, some of the flowers were not fully bloomed yet. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed being surrounded by the colourful majestic beauty of the flowers.


Luckily the sun decided to come out a little later while I was at the park. So thankful!


The colours are simply stunning. Respect for the hard work and dedication that goes into planning and maintaining the beauty of this place. 



To end off, here is a photo of endless rows of tulips. If you have the time, rent a bike and cycle around. It is definitely an experience unlike any other. 


I didn't even bother editing any of my photos because the flowers themselves were already so gorgeous. I felt like I was standing in a postcard. 





No comments:

Post a Comment