Monday, April 8, 2013

Travelogue - Santorini, Greece

I think it's part of every girl's romantic fantasy to visit Santorini. If you've heard people rave and wow about this island, every word they say is true. And if you're wondering whether paradise can exist on Earth, yes it does. Santorini is a prime example. I absolutely loved Santorini.

Now Santorini is an island approximately 200km away from Mainland Greece. You can either take a domestic flight from Athens. I was in Turkey before I headed to Santorini, so I simply took a ferry ride (aboard a cruise ship) over. Having never been on a cruise ship before as well, it was like killing two birds with one stone.

Santorini to me is picture perfect. The night view is breath-taking. The beaches pristine and oh-so-lovely to sun tan on. If you are feeling a little adventurous, bring along your own towel and hike to less crowded areas. Sun-block is a definite must, especially during Summer.



It's advisable to either rent a car or an ATV to roam around the island. Navigation is easy with the use of an iPhone. The town of Oia is bustling with life. Quaint shops line the street, each having something different to offer.




I honestly don't know how to accurate describe this little island. We spent the first two days driving around visiting dig sites, and ancient ruins. Roamed around town, and visited a winery - which has divine dessert wine.


 Catching the sunset is also one of the top things to do in Santorini.

Finally, I chanced upon a simple, yet breathtaking cathedral  To date, its one of the loveliest cathedrals I have seen in Europe.

On the third day, we did a volcano cruise which brought us to some of the smaller islands around Santorini. Despite the scorching sun, I fell in love with the charm of Santorini.





I don't have much night photos of Santorini because my camera is crap at night. But don't let the photos be all you see of Santorini. Save up, book a flight there, and be wow-ed by this island like I was.

One day, I shall do a Eurotrip, round 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment