Friday, November 8, 2013

Travelogue - Krakow, Poland

As I write this, I'm sitting in the kitchen, keeping a watching eye over my first attempt at making Paella. Krakow is a city full of history, and yet exquisitely charming.
Alleyways and little corners are filled with charming cafes. The cobbled streets bring you back to the past. But once you turn into the old Jewish ghettoes of the past, you get a sense that this city, has a story to tell. 


The city square is a vibrant place full of activity. Tourist roaming about, walking tours taking place, and locals enjoying the day. 



I also chanced upon the hotel where the England Euro 2012 team was staying. I wanted to plant myself there to get a few photos and maybe autographs of the players, but my friends gave me the "are you insane" glare, and I had to make do with a photo of their team bus. 
Such, is life.
On one of the days in town, we joined a walking tour to get to know more about the history of Krakow. It was a really insightful tour as we got to know more about how the Jews were treated in the past, and what has been done to help them after the war. 




I also visited Schindler's Factory. If you are a history buff, this is definitely a place that you need to visit. I have yet to watch the movie, because I am afraid of watching it alone. But I will do it one day! 

Of course, other than sights, Krakow is full of lovely food, and great coffee places. I wish I had more time to spend in not only this city, but the country. But alas, when you are backpacking, and have to return home from school, your days are limited. But I'm truly blessed to have even traveled as extensively as I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment