Sunday, May 12, 2013

Travelogue - Manchester, England

Manchester was never on my travel plans. However, I ended up heading to this town because of a deal I made with a friend. Accompany me to watch my Arsenal match, and I'll go with you to a Manchester United one. But, no regrets coming to Manchester at all - also partly because I was introduced to the wonders of Primark while in Manchester. Also, although I visited England in late March, the country was undergoing a heatwave. As a result, I got pictures full of clear blue skies. In fact, the weather was so sunny that I had to walk around in shades. I was unfortunately prepared for cold, and didn't bring any shorts with me. Luckily the heat was bearable. 



Manchester small as it may be, contains an old school charm. Many buildings are made of red brick. The architecture also ranges from Victorian, to modern to contemporary. I was particularly drawn to the brick red buildings. 
I also took many pictures of the green grass, because I was deprived of greenery. 

Now the 1 things Manchester is most well-known for is its football clubs. The age-old rivalry of United and City. I was due for a Manchester match, but we decided to visit the home ground of City before that. 
My impression of City's home ground was that it lacked character, and a sense of history. Or maybe that's just me being ignorant and not knowing much about the history of Man City. I, however, am a 100% not a Man City fan - especially after losing so many Arsenal players to them. 

The highlight of my Manchester trip - The Theatre of Dreams, Old Trafford! 
Even though I am an Arsenal fan, I was secretly excited about visiting Old Trafford. After all, it is a place that has been home to Man U since 1910. Old as it may be, the atmosphere inside is definitely electrifying. It was such a treat to be there, although I could hardly understand the cheers the fans were singing due to the slight tinge of Scottish brogue in their accents. 
United legends! 
Warming up for the match. 
Hello there, David De Gea. 
And finally, my favourite picture from Old Trafford. (I just like the lighting here.)

If you are a die-hard Manchester United fan, catching a live match at the Theatre of Dreams is a must do in your lifetime. Even a non supporter like me had a fantastic time there. The atmosphere of a live football match, is unlike another other. So drastically different from watching on TV. You can feel the love for the team coming out of the fans - it pumps you up too! 
P.S. It also makes the match all the better when you are supporting the winning team. ;) And congrats to United for winning the 2013 premier league title.

No comments:

Post a Comment