Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Travel Essentials

I've always hated packing. Hated it with a vengeance  I'm a last minute packer, which annoys the hell out of my mom (she likes to pack for trips 1 week in advance at the least). I'm the type who will pack on the day itself if I have a night flight.

While I was on exchange, I mastered the art of packing. I was able to stuff 2 weeks worth of clothes and what-nots into my 30L backpack. Packing sort of became second nature after a while. I remember that at the start, my friend had to literally go through my backpack to make sure that I'd pack just the right amount of stuff, and not any nonsense that I wouldn't require.

So anyway, I thought I'd list down some of my travel must-haves just for the fun of it. :)

1. Passport + Travel documents(Always, always important.)
2. Pouch for money + Small wallet that fits into my pocket. (I don't like displaying all my money to everyone. I usually put a few dollars in my pocket so that I don't have to take out all my cash and slowly count it in front of everyone. Hide thy wealth while overseas.)
3. Handphone (Can't survive without it really. I load all my travel information into my email so that I can access it on the go.)
4. Kindle (How else will I entertain myself on long haul flights?)
5. Windbreaker (Multi-purpose. Protects me from the cold, and from the rain.)
6. Ziplock bags (Helps me to compress my clothes, and holds my liquids. What's not to like.)
7. Camera (I know phones nowadays take nice photos and all, but nothing beats a camera.)
8. Energy bars / chocolate bars (I usually pack a few because I'm the kind who can forget to eat lunch while traveling. I usually snack on the go. Plus if you fly budget, it makes for a handy snack.)
9. Headphones (To block out unwanted noise wherever you are. And because I can't live without music.)
10. Trusty daypack or sling bag (I made sure to buy a smaller bag that would be big enough for me to carry around while sightseeing, and yet have enough compartments to hid important things.)

And those, are my travel must-haves. What are yours?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there-

    My name is KC Owens; I’m a college student who loves to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found Conquering my Wanderlust and really enjoyed reading your posts. Personally, I think traveling is a necessary part of life as you’re exposed to all sorts of new cultures and experiences. While enjoying time abroad, I've found it's crucial to fully understand the dangers that you might encounter along the way. These mishaps are part of life and certainly part of travel but it’s always a great idea to take preventive measures to help ensure your safety while abroad.

    I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my travel safety tips with your readers? I put a lot of time and passion into my traveling and I would love to help others by offering safety advice as a result of the mistakes and triumphs I've had. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,

    KC Owens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KC,

      That's a lovely idea! I agree that travel safety tips are so important. They've helped me out more than once! You could perhaps drop me the post via email at tay_szeling@hotmail.com and I'll put it up with a link to your site. :)

      Looking forward to hearing from you soon! (It would be awesome if you could drop me a comment once you've sent the post over!)

      Cheers,
      SL

      P.S. I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading my posts. You have a lovely blog too!

      Delete