Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Travelogue - Stockholm, Sweden

I visited Stockholm after Kiruna, since I was in the vicinity. Stockholm has a charm, that will captivate you when you least expect it, and grab hold of your heart.

The streets are lined with a mixed of modern and old buildings. Stockholm itself is built on 14 islands that have been connected together via bridges. The stores have interesting window displays that had me chuckling to myself, and advertisements that made the marketing major in me appreciate them for their creativity. While roaming along the streets, I chanced upon an open air market. And oh my, the fresh fruits on sale there, were so tantalizing. 


One of the museums I visited in Stockholm was the Vasa museum. One of the nicest museums I have been to. The Vasa is a ship that sank in the olden days (17th century), then was salvaged and restored. The museum is literally built around this gigantic ship. 
This picture does not fully capture the magnificent glory of the ship. You have to stand before the ship, before it hits you just how huge the ship really is, and marvel at the workmanship that went into both building this ship, and restoring it. 

Stockholm being made up of islands, was a sight to behold. I have a soft spot for the lakes, seas and oceans in my heart. And can never resist from snapping loads of photos of the beautiful landscapes that such waterways make up. 
I happen to think that the break of winter, and signs of spring makes such sights all the more enchanting. Other than the Vasa museum, I also paid a visit to the Old Town of Stockholm. There you'll find olden buildings that have been preserved. Wander around and imagine how Stockholm was like in the olden days. I would have loved to pay the royal palace a visit, but it was unfortunately undergoing restorative work. 
There are of course many other things to do in Stockholm. Sweden is home to world famous brand H&M. Pay the many H&Ms a visit and you might find some good steals. Max Burger in Stockholm is also one of the best fast food chains I've eaten at. ;) And of course, no one goes to Sweden without trying Swedish Meatballs! 

Wander around town and you'll find buildings to gush over, and activities to do. 
And if you're really lucky, you might just be able to catch sight of the lovely sunset. 

I would be content to end my days with sunsets like this forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment