Sunday, June 2, 2013

Travelogue - Budapest, Hungary

Budapest was my first foray into Eastern Europe. I flew down to Budapest from Stockholm, and I must admit that I experienced a bit of a culture shock. While the streets of Stockholm were lined with old buildings that looked well preserved, and a sense of comfortable affluence, Budapest was the opposite. People there dressed differently, and the streets had people seeking for kind donations. Buildings weren't as brightly coloured and more draper. 


One of the museums I visited in Budapest was the Terror Haza museum. It showcases the history of Budapest,  and has exhibits related to the dictatorial regime of Hungary. Definitely an insightful museum, that makes you appreciate what you have right now. The interior was nicely done up, with explanations provided at every turn. I left the place with a deeper appreciation for the advancement of mankind, and a deeper understand of the history of the country. 

However, while Budapest may seem grey in the day, the city at night is a splendour to behold. Take a boat ride along the river, and be amazed by the beauty which the lighted castles display. I still remember braving the cold winter night just to marvel at the gorgeous lights. It felt as though Budapest had undergone a transformation once the sun had set. 
I also spent a day roaming around Castle Hill. The part of the city holds some of Budapest's best attractions. Took in the sights, got wow-ed by the view, and enjoyed the sunset with friends. It was a lovely day. We then topped off the day by hunting down some Gyros for dinner. 

And finally, the one place that most tourists go to in Budapest is Hero's Square. The square has statues of Budapest's founding fathers, and is flanked by 2 museums. Its really a sight to behold. 

Overall, I guess I would sum up Budapest as a city striving for further development, and yet, it has its own uniqueness. One of the best night river views I've ever seen. A city rich in history that leaves you with a thirst to learn more. I've always wandered how the city would look like once Spring descends upon it - the greyness I felt might have been because of winter. Also, Budapest has a relatively low cost of living, so enjoy a nice meal out! a

No comments:

Post a Comment