Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Travelogue - Club Med, Bintan

Back to Club Med Bintan again after a long absence! I used to go there annually courtesy of my mom's company (family trips) but haven't gone in the past 4 years while I was at university. There always seemed to be some other event or other cropping up and preventing me from going. But I decided to go this year before my foray into the working world. 


And some take backs from the trip were that, going to Club Med as an awkward teenager, and as a young adult with growing self confidence, is so different. (Helps that the people who work there, are friendly, sincere and charming.) I used to dislike the way the G.Os (that's what the employees are called, mainly those who are involved in guest related activities) tried to interact with you - yes, awkward teenage stage when you didn't know how to act around people - but now find it interesting to talk to them. The G.Os range from all over the world, so you get to find out more about the country they come from and why they choose to work at Club Med. 

I used to remember coming home from Club Med thinking that maybe one day, I'd like to work there. I know the work is not easy, but it seems so enticing, especially when you see how passionate the G.Os are about their job. 
Haze in Singapore, when I departed from the ferry terminal.
Alright, enough of my musings. I spent 3 days in the island of Bintan. Unfortunately, as you probably know, it's hazy season here in Southeast Asia, and Bintan was not spared. The situation there is way better than Singapore though. The first thing I did upon alighting from the ferry was to inhale a breathe of well, fresher air - been smelling burnt wood for a week. 


 The resort itself is pretty much self sufficient. Food and drinks are all included in the package, as well as a wide array of land and water sports. You don't have to spend a dime (other that what you have already paid for) if you don't want to. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is buffet styles. And there's nightly entertainment too! 

The beach is one of my favourite places at Club Med. Didn't manage to go snorkelling because of the haze, but it's ok. Because the weather cleared up on my second day there and I was overjoyed to finally see clear blue skies after living with the haze for a week. 
 Look at the contrast because of the haze! 

More shots of the beach in the evening as the sun started to set.

I got addicted to their cocktails of the day. Nothing relaxes me more than sitting in the sun, with a cool drink and good book in hand. 
 Beach party at night! Looks pretty tame, but there was beach football, limbo, dances and free flow of alcohol! 
 The skies cleared up nicely for the full moon to make an appearance. 

I'll probably be back to Club Med again. It's a lovely place to spend a weekend relaxing and enjoying the beach, and friendly team that works there. Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment