Monday, July 1, 2013

Choosing to go on Exchange

In 2012, I went on exchange to Maastricht University. I was overseas for a period of 6 months (end Jan to end July) and it was, without a doubt, the best time of my life.

I knew that I wanted to go on exchange since starting university. It was just a matter of making it happen. Going on exchange changed me. I learnt so much more than I ever would in any classroom. I got to marvel firsthand at structures made by mankind centuries ago. Soak in the culture and traditions of a country so far away from home. Meet people from all walks of life. Live independently for 6 months where I was responsible for no one but myself. Travel as and when I wanted. Learn history lessons where history took place. And most importantly, embark on a journey of self discovery.



When I returned back from Netherlands, I was no longer the same girl who had left Singapore a few months ago. I was bitten by the travelbug, badly bitten. No longer was I content to stay in one place, and dream about trips. I now knew that I could make it happen with a little planning and foresight. I had learnt how to navigate, plan timetables, book tickets and accommodation and other important skills. No longer was I the sheltered girl, it was as if I was a bird set free and could not wait to see the world.

Exchange taught me that I could survive and live on my own. The experience taught me that the world out there was bigger than I'd ever imagined, and that I had to wise up to survive. It taught me to appreciate what I had back home, and at the same time, be grateful for where I was at the moment.

Yes, there were homesick moments, but the thrill of visiting new places, and expanding my knowledge made up for that. I hated history back in my younger days, but Europe taught me that history is something that I should learn from. I came back richer in knowledge, with a thirst to find out more about the past.

Exchange taught me to open up, and take risks, because that's how you enjoy life to the fullest. Yes, I have certain regrets from exchange - not doing more, not visiting more places etc. But I remind myself, that one day, I'll be back in Europe.


Go on exchange, take flight. Your world might be changed forever. You learn so much that no classroom will ever teach you. It's a time to discover yourself. Make new friendships, lose old ones. While some may be afraid that going overseas for so long can change your life back home, my advice is, your true friends, will always be there waiting for you. No matter how long you take to come home. Open your heart, mind and soul, and the rewards will be boundless.

Given a second chance, I would repeat the whole experience all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment