Friday, July 12, 2013

Travelogue - Rome Pt. 1 (Vatican City)


They say that all roads lead to Rome. Rome is so huge, so full of attractions, that I decided midway to split this post into parts. 



Rome to me, is a city that I would love to go back again. There's something special about the cobbled pathways, the bustle of city life, the faint smell of pasta and pizza, and being surrounded by ancient Roman architect that draws me to not only Rome, but Italy in general. 



Rome being the capital of Italy, is bustling with tourists and locals, business people and students, the elderly and the young. Rome is also home to the only sovereign state - The Vatican City. 



They say all roads lead to Rome. I guess that's true. Because Rome is one of the most visited cities in the European Union. Or rather, there are many flights that lead to Rome. I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to find my way to Rome from Singapore via road since... Singapore is an island. 



Lame joke aside. Rome has so much to see. I would recommend spending at least 3 full days there. I spent 3 days there, and walked an insane amount, from attraction to attraction. But do be wary of your belongings in Rome. I have friends who have had passports, phones and wallets pick pocketed  I'm lucky that I was perfectly safe, and that I stayed with friends who were studying in Rome which meant that I was well briefed on what to do. 




While I was in Rome, the weather was horrid! In fact, I experienced 2 nights, and 1 full day of rain. I was walking around Rome, huddled in my windbreaker, going from sight to sight. It seemed that everytime I exited a place, the skies would open up again. Although I must say, the rain did make my trip to Rome all the more memorable. Rome is probably one of the few cities where I experience so much rain. 



In fact, I spent my 22nd Birthday at the Vatican City. We didn't buy tickets online, and had to get out of the house at 8am to make sure that we didn't have to queue for ages. Thankfully there was only a half hour or so queue. Visited the museum first since my friends to me that the queue to the basilica is pretty fast. 



The Vatican museum is huge! My eyes were open in wonder, looking at paintings and artefacts. Had to navigate throughout the museum before I got to the main highlight - The Sistine Chapel. Now I've heard a lot of people raving about the Sistine Chapel. But I was kind of disappointed by the whole experience overall. Yes, the artwork on the ceiling is astounding, and I don't think I will see anything that rivals it. But the room overall was just too crowded. I found it difficult to fully soak in the beauty of the artwork, and absorb the meaning in them whilst being jostled by tourists from side to side, and the constant buzz of chatter going over my head. 




I spent about 3 hours inside the museum before heading over to St. Peter's Basilica. And yes, the skies opened up while I was queuing! The basilica was big. I don't know how to accurately describe it. There's a sense of tranquility when you enter. The walls are adorned with paintings and words. And there's the dome that makes the basilica so recognisable from the exterior. 



While the Vatican strikes awe in you in the daylight, surrounded by its walls and magnificent structures, its literally glows at night. There is a different feel once the sun sets. Gone are the many tourists. All that remains, is a sense of quiet with the occasional sound of a vehicle passing by, and the sound of water from the fountains in the courtyard. It was then, that I was truly bowed over by the beauty and significance of this place. 




Neighbour to the Vatican City, is Castel Sant'Angelo. It's within walking distance and once you climb up, it offers you a view of the city. This place used to serve as a fortress to the city, and there are still remains of canons and you can imagine yourself in battle, while looking through one of the many lookouts this place has to offer. After all, it was once the tallest building in Rome. 




And that sort of marks off how I spent my first day in Rome. Stay tuned for more on Roma.

No comments:

Post a Comment