Saturday, July 20, 2013

Travelogue - Rome Pt 3 ( Fountains in the City)

Last entry on Rome. I've probably sang enough praises about the city already. 

Fountains have long since been a part of Rome's history and landscape. In the past, they used to provide drinking water for the people - and today, some of the still do. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of this. To be able to refill your bottle while the hot sun beats down on you and enjoy a cool drink is just so refreshing. 


Some of the more well-known fountains I visited in Rome include the Trevi Fountain and Fountain of the Four Rivers. 

Trevi Fountain is probably the most well-known fountain in Italy, and one which attracts the most tourists. I found it difficult to squeeze my way through just to get a decent view, let alone go all the way down to toss a lucky coin into the fountain. I didn't get a chance to view this fountain at night as much as I would love to due to the horrible weather. It rained 2 out of the 3 nights I was in Rome. 

Fountain of the Four Rivers was less crowded (maybe due to the rain) but yet, unique in its own way. This fountain showcases the 4 river gods, that represent 4 major rivers from 4 continents. It was also commissioned for the Pope! 
I'm a water person, and I love listening to sounds of water be it from fountains or the sea. Needless to say, I'm a fountain fan. I was also highly amused by some of the structures that we in the fountains. Some had weird faces that made me laugh. 

Alright, enough about fountains. I also visited several cathedrals and of course, The Pantheon. 
The Pantheon was overly crowded for me and I didn't really enjoy it much. Everyone was pushing around taking photos of every single thing. I liked the dome that has a central opening to the sky, but this was again overshadowed by the weather. All I got were grey skies unfortunately. Nonetheless, I must say that the Pantheon was very well-preserved and maintained despite its age. Kudos to that. 
Altare della Patria, Rome - Home to tomb of the unknown soldier. I was pretty amazed by how the flame kept burning strong despite the heavy onslaught of rain.  

To end, there are many alley ways in Rome. Just venture into one and you might find some unassuming restaurant that serves delicious food. A friend introduced me to some of the best coffee ever in a simple little cafe in some back alley. I unfortunately cannot remember the name, nor the address. I drank so much coffee in Rome. Alas, when in Rome, one shall do as the Romans do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment