Monday, July 8, 2013

Why you should travel young

People normally say that your golden years are when you get to take time out to travel, see the world without having to worry about the future. I beg to differ.

Yes, traveling in your golden years does have its perks, but I feel that traveling should be done in the prime of your youth too.

Your 20s are the best time of your life to travel, have fun and do crazy things without having to worry about being judged. Well, we will probably still be judged, but not as harshly. Where else in life can you party without a care in the world, stay up till 3 or 4am in the morning and still have energy? Jump of a plane above the swiss alps or bungee jump down the Macau tower?



Traveling when young offers you boundless energy. The excitement to see, explore and experience the world. More importantly, it offers you time to find yourself. Develop your passion and interests. If you'd asked me just 2 years ago if I'd ever imagine traveling this much, my answer would be a straight no.

Traveling taught me that I could be independent, adapt and think on my feet. It also made me more aware of small details and deadlines. It opened me up to new cultures, learn how to make friends from different countries, and it taught me about myself. Things that I would have never learned had I stayed at home and chosen to go and family tour-guided vacations.


Live while you're young. Travel when you have the money. If you don't, work for it like I did. Knowing that you have worked hard for your travels makes you appreciate it all the more. But while you travel, don't forget that at the end of the day, home is where the heart will always be.


No comments:

Post a Comment