Sunday, July 28, 2013

S.E.A Aquarium, Singapore

I visited the S.E.A Aquarium at Resorts World Sentosa awhile back with my family. Having previously visited the aquarium in Ocean Park, I had high hopes for this one. Especially with all the hype that had gone on prior to its opening, and what was proclaimed to be host to the largest viewing platform. 


Made the mistake of going during the school holidays, and the place was packed! Luckily we pre-bought our tickets and didn't have to join the queue. There were some likes and dislikes about the place.  

First of all, it was really crowded with people jostling trying to see the exhibits. Had to sometimes wait for people to move away, or try to squeeze in when others refused to move. 

I was also really disappointed by the jellyfish exhibit! I love jellyfish exhibits. Its so surreal how they drift about under the luminous lights that make them look all pretty. I was expecting a tank full of jellyfishes, and nice lights, but that was not to be. 
Oh well, I guess we can't have too high standards. But apart from the jellyfish, I would say that the place was well done up. There were so many exhibits showcasing different types of marine life, and many big tanks that had colourful corral reefs, fishes of all size and colour, and a place for you to just sit back, relax and watch fishes and sharks swim by. 





I never knew that shark eggs looked like that. I was really surprised. In fact, I learnt quite a few interesting facts that day. 


 One of the many large tanks they had! 

The lobsters was HUGE. I got hungry just watching them. It was also feeding time when I saw the lobsters. Pretty cool how they all fought over the food. First time I ever saw lobsters eating. 

Dolphins! We waited super long to see the dolphins. In fact, we even left and wandered around. But we were lucky to see the dolphins because there are 11 lagoons, and only 1 viewing panel at the moment. The guides there told me that you can later venture into the waters with the dolphins, but this activity will only be available later in the year. Not sure how I feel about dolphins living in captivity, especially after watching how they swim about so care-freely. It seems that they require lots of free space. But I do admit that I was enthralled by the dolphins and I stood rooted to the spot for more than 10 minutes just waiting with anticipation for them to come close to the viewing panel while I was watching them swim about. 

If you think their habitat looks dirty, it's not. I was told that the dolphins need the algae (green stuff floating around) that covers the scratchy surfaces to help them shed their skin - which is something that they do quite regularly. 

I spent close to 3 hours just roaming around this place. I have a friend who bought annual passes, and she states that its less crowded during weekdays of non-school holidays. Not sure if I would be back again, but I think that it's worth a visit if you like aquariums and marine life. Would be a definite educational tour for kids though, considering all the interesting bits of knowledge I managed to pick up there. 

We ended the day with a lovely sunset along the boardwalk on our way out of Sentosa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment